eBay Deals


1 hour ago 23

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass urged California attorney general Rob Bonta and Paramount to resolve their differences and work “urgently” to find a resolution to the 12-state antitrust lawsuit that is blocking Paramount’s takeover of Warner Bros. Discovery.

“While there are varying perspectives on the proposed transaction, today we are united around one clear message: It is time for all parties to come to the table,” Bass said at a press conference Thursday.

She continued, “The continued uncertainty is not good for workers, not good for productions and not good for the future of this industry. Too many productions in L.A. are now at a standstill, which means Angelenos are out of a job and they’re not getting paid.”

Bass said that any settlement among the parties “must include meaningful and enforceable commitments to keep Paramount and Warner Brothers Discovery in L.A. as well as maintaining jobs, productions and investments in L.A. and California.”

“This is not about taking sides,” the mayor said. “This is about fighting for Los Angeles, standing up for our union workers, keeping Paramount here, and protecting the future of this industry. L.A. has been home to the entertainment industry for generations, and we intend to do everything we can to keep it here.”

Bass joins fellow Democrat Xavier Becerra, who is the frontrunner in the race for California governor. Becerra recently said a settlement between Paramount and the state AGs would be the best outcome in the current legal standoff. “I hope it settles” before the case goes to trial, Becerra said at a Politico conference on Aug. 11. “It is easier to stand in a conference room and settle than it is to stand in a courtroom.”

Last week, in a statement, Paramount CEO David Ellison said his company has “offered commitments and concessions and remain open to working constructively with the state AGs to find a path forward in the interest of our employees and the creative community in California and across the world.” Bonta, meanwhile, has said that the only acceptable terms of a settlement would be “structural” remedies (like divestments or keeping certain business operations separate) rather than “behavioral” stipulations, such as Paramount’s pledge to release more than 30 movies to theaters with a 45-day window.

At Thursday’s press conference, Bass said, “As mayor, I cannot stand by while the job security of thousands of hardworking union members is being put at risk. That is why we are calling on Paramount, attorney general Rob Bonta, and all relevant parties to come together, engage directly and in good faith, and work urgently to find common ground and keep our vital industry in Los Angeles at a time when film and television production is already facing significant challenges.”

She continued: “We cannot afford prolonged uncertainty that delays investment, puts production on hold, and creates greater instability for thousands of workers and families. Any resolution must put workers and the long-term health of our entertainment industry at the center.”

Bass said, “It is not by accident that L.A. is the entertainment capital. We have unparalleled talent, unlimited creativity, a skilled workforce, and the highest amount of production space in the world. Today, we are speaking up to project to protect this legacy.”

The Writers Guild of America, which also has sued to block the Paramount-Warner Bros. merger, slammed Bass’s comments, accusing the mayor of joining “Paramount’s pressure campaign on public enforcers.”

“We are disappointed that Mayor Bass has chosen to join Paramount’s pressure campaign on public enforcers, to push through a merger that is being rightfully challenged as illegal and will lead to job losses in the entertainment industry. Her statement comes on the heels of a county report estimating thousands of jobs will be lost if the merger proceeds. Industry workers deserve a mayor who believes in upholding the law and protecting the working people of Los Angeles, not serving the interests of powerful corporations.

The WGA statement continued: “Paramount has created a false choice for entertainment industry workers: The company argues that enforcing antitrust law hurts us by creating uncertainty, which is of their own making as the company attempts to dominate the industry. We reject the claim that beleaguered industry workers must choose the possibility of a job today, in exchange for the certainty of job losses tomorrow.”

Variety has reached out to Bass’ office for comment.

Read Entire Article