The New York Giants added another running back to the room on Tuesday, signing former Pro Bowler Najee Harris to a one-year deal. Harris last played for the Los Angeles Chargers under Jim Harbaugh, and now heads to the other side of the country to join Jim's brother, John Harbaugh, and the Giants.
The 28-year-old will have to compete for snaps with Cam Skattebo, Tyrone Tracy Jr., and Devin Singletary — a group that forms the foundation of the Giants' run game. But the competition hasn't deterred him, and Harris heads into 2026 with something to prove. "I have a lot to prove as somebody coming back from a torn Achilles," Harris said. "Really everything that I did in the past is in the past, and everything I do now is really what matters. I know there are going to be a lot of questions of how I'll come back looking, and I'm ready to answer all those."
Harris also opened up on the ground-and-pound style of play Harbaugh and the Giants employ, and how it aligns with his own rushing style. "I think this is a good opportunity here," Harris said. "I think the style of play that they're heading towards is the style of play that aligns with me. I know the type of style of football [Harbaugh] wants. I think that we align with each other with what type of football we want to play."
More news: Buccaneers Get Major Boost as WR Jalen McMillan Returns to Practice

More news: Chargers’ Mike McDaniel Says Justin Herbert Has Exceeded Expectations So Far
Harris entered the league in 2021 as a first-round pick (No. 24 overall) out of Alabama and immediately validated the high draft capital in his rookie season with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He rushed for 1,200 yards and seven touchdowns on 307 carries, adding 467 receiving yards and three receiving touchdowns while appearing in all 17 games. He earned Pro Bowl honors and finished fourth in the NFL with 1,667 total scrimmage yards — the second-most among running backs.
After four seasons in Pittsburgh, rushing for 1,000-plus yards in each of them, the Steelers decided to move on from Harris, who signed with the Chargers in March 2025. Just three games into the 2025 season, however, he tore his Achilles and has been working his way back ever since. Even coming off a major injury, he was one of the best running backs available on the market this offseason, and his physical, downhill rushing style should fit in well with what the Giants already have.
More news: Chiefs Face Concerning Injury as Top Breakout Candidate Leaves Practice on Cart

10 hours ago
10


